Can I get a bank loan / bond to build a Straw Bale house? Print

As far as Bank financing may have a problem. While it is possible to get the councils to approve your plans for straw bale or adobe, it is a different matter when it comes to the Banks. The bank requires you to register with the NHBRC, which in return does not approve of natural building technologies.

The loophole is to finance through extending the bond on another property...or build a starter house in conventional material ...i.e. a bathroom/service core, which is generally safer in conventional masonry anyway, passing this first phase as a finished new house. Then with this complete and signed off by the NHBRC, you then proceed with the rest of you house as an alteration, for which you do not need NHBRC registration.