What is the NHBRC? Print

A more recently established government regulatory body called the NHBRC or National Housing Building Regulatory Council...supposedly set up to protect the consumer. What has happened is that this new body has set itself up to insure the banks/consumers against poor workmanship. For all new houses (only applies to new homes!), the banks require that you register with the NHBRC. Should you need to sell your house within the first 5 years of it being built the banks will not finance the purchase of the house unless it carries a NHBRC certificate.